Ohhh Mejico… Mostly when we think of mexico or visiting it, we think of the americanized cancun or the all inclusive baja california sur and the like… not that these destinations are bad but Mejico has a lot more to offer.
I think when you visit mexico there are 2 things i think you must experience…
Take a dip into the Cenotes
What is a Cenote you ask?
- Cenotes are essentially underground swimming holes formed where limestone bedrock gives way to underground rivers and springs. It is believe that swimming in the Cenote keeps makes one younger.There are thousands of them in the yucatan peninsula.
Explore Chichen Itza
- The Kukulkan pyramid in Chichen itza was named one of the new seven wonders of the world in 2007. At Chitchen itza you can find the mayan ruins, a spectacular site to behold. It includes among others the stunning Kukulkán Maya pyramid in Chichen Itza, Yucatán. The list was destined to add new wondrous monuments to the famous list of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, out of which only one is left today.
- Did you know that the mayan ancient civilization dates back at least 1200 years BC
- The mayan/aztecs enjoyed an advanced civilization long before the arrival of the european invaders.
- Both of them were known for their highly intricate building techniques as well as their well-defined political order.
- Mayans flourished in southern Mexico as well as Central America from as early as 2,600BC until between AD 200 and 900. During these periods of great wealth and expansion, the Mayans completed some of the most developed and thriving cities in the world, notably Chichén Itza.
Walk the streets, take in the culture and try some street food
- The culture is beautiful, the buildings have a history to tell
- Check of the Coahuila
- The Templo de San Esteban dates back to 1591
- Situated in the state of Quintana roo, mexico, between Cancun and tulum Xel-ha is the biggest natural aquarium in THE WORLD. Yup you read that right.
- If you know me, you know i love water sports, i love swimming. So when i got the chance to snorkle, snuba dive, zip line, ropes, swimming with the dolphins, visit the biggest natural aquarium in the world, i did not hesitate.
- Xel- Ha is derived from 2 may words, Xel means “ a place where something is born/entrance/spring” and HA means water., so Xel-ha is where the water was born.
Did you know that ….
- Mexico is located in the world’s most violent volcano and earthquake zone, “the Ring of Fire. ” The “Ring of Fire”, also called circum-Pacific Belt, is where almost 90% of the world’s earthquakes and about 81 % of the planet’s volcanic eruptions take place. Mexico is located right in the middle of it and its volcanoes regularly erupt. The last devastating eruption occurred in 1982.
- Mexico is home to the oldest university in North America. The Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México was founded in 1551 by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain. Its creation thereby precedes any other institute of higher education in North America. Today the UNAM still awards the highest number of diplomas in the country.
Tequila, Tabasco, and Chihuahuas owe their names to places in Mexico. The famous Mexican drink is named after its birthplace. Tequila is located in the state of Jalisco, northwest of Guadalajara. Tabasco on the other hand is a Mexican state located in the southeast of the country. Finally, Chihuahua dogs originally come from the northern state of Chihuahua which borders Texas and New Mexico.
- Mexico has a day set aside to celebrate the dead known as “The day of the dead”. This traditional celebration is made to honor the dead and celebrate them as they believed to come alive on the day of the dead.
What fun fact do know about mexico ?